Dan Orbih returns as chairman of Edo state PDP
– By Tony Osas Okungbowa
Apparently taking the advice of Saintmoses Eromosele, a policy consultant, public analyst and member of the People’s Democratic Party from Esan Central and Oredo LGAs, who suggested that the PDP should not change the Dan-Orbih leadership at this electoral season, the Edo State PDP has unanimously returned the vibrant Chief Dan Orbih as Chairman of the Edo State PDP.
Chief Dan Orbih was returned unopposed today as all other aspirants for the position stepped aside for him giving him an easy sail to clinch the chairmanship of the party. It is on record that Chief Dan Orbih was the PDP chairman who has given Adams Oshuiomhole administration a dogged fight since the PDP lost the gubernatorial seat to Adams Oshiomhole through an Appeal Court sourced judgement. While many people deserted the PDP, which reputation and standing was badly damaged by the propaganda machinery of the AC, ACN, now APC, Chief Dan Orbih rose to the occassion and through covert and overt means, was able to obtain data and information to expose the massive corruption and manipulations of the APC in Edo state. This quickly endeared the chief from Oshiomhole’s Senatorial Districtto the people of Edo State and eventually his party, the PDP, to the people of Edo State.
Prior to the emergence of Chief Dan Orbih, some high ranking members of the PDP derisively describbed the worth of the party as worse than “the Zimbabwean dollar”, meaning worthless. Chief Dan Orbih was able to reorganize the party and today the PDP is the beautiful bride of politicians in Edo state and four of the finest politicians from Edo South Senatorial District, where the party zoned her ticket to, are struggling it out to seek the ticket.
However, in a bid to throw a spanner in the whell of progress, some fifth columnists among the PDP were sponsored to write a petition against the continued stay of the Dan Orbih executive. A case was instituted in court to stop the Dan Orbih administration from continuing in office. In a clever reaction, the PDP did not bother to challenge the suit in court, instead they dissolved the executive and organized an election which has produced Chief Dan Orbih again with a new vibrant executive committee.
Urhokpota Reporters had published Saintmoses Eromosele’s now famous letter written to the PDP Edo State, where seven steps were recommended for the PDP to take in order to defeat the ailing APC in the forth coming gubernatorial election in Edo State. The seven steps that the Germany-based writer, policy consultant and community organizer listed are paraphrased hereunder.
SEVEN STEPS THAT THE PDP SHOULD TAKE TO DEFEAT THE APC
- There should be positive intraparty campaign among the aspirants
- There should be party primaries among delegates, not directly among all members of the party as was being speculated earlier.
- The party should device a way to achieve a consensus candidate among the aspirants who should be encouraged to agree among themselves to produce the most popular person who the rest would jointly endorse and be compensated by being incorporated by the winner in the eventual government.
- An undertaking of continued commitment to the party to be taken by each of the aspirants before entering the primaries or endorsement discussions.
- A sworn declaration by all aspirants to abide by the party constitution and supremacy should they be nominated as candidate and when they win the election.
- An active involvement of youths in the campaigns and also in consideration for the position of Deputy Governor.
- Avoidance of a change in the Dan-Orbih leadership of the party.
You may also want to read SEVEN (7) THINGS THE EDO PDP CAN DO TO WIN EDO STATE IN 2016: AN OPEN LETTER TO THE PDP